Table of Contents
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. (Douglas Adams)
New LIRE Demo A new demo is up and running. It features ~ 1 million of images. Search is based on Solr with a custom plugin. See http://demo-itec.uni-klu.ac.at/liredemo
Photo Intentions Test Data Set available Find out more here: photointentionsdata
Research on User Intentions
User intentions in multimedia is a novel and promising field as well as my main and most favourite research topic. Here are some interesting publications to read:
- C. Kofler, M. Lux (2009) Dynamic presentation adaptation based on user intent classification. ACM Multimedia 2009 ACM page
- M. Lux, C. Kofler, O. Marques (2010) A classification scheme for user intentions in image search. CHI 2010 ACM page
- M. Lux, M. Kogler, M. del Fabro (2010) Why did you take this photo: a study on user intentions in digital photo productions. SAPMIA 2010 ACM page
- M. Kogler, M. Lux, O. Marques (2011) Adaptive Visual Information Retrieval by changing visual vocabulary sizes in context of user intentions. MMWeb 2011 IEEE.
- C. Lagger, M. Lux, O. Marques (2011) Which video do you want to watch now? Development of a Prototypical Intention-based Interface for Video Retrieval. MMWeb 2011, IEEE.
- C. Lagger, M. Lux, O. Marques, (2012) What Makes People Watch Online Videos: An Exploratory Study. Short article teaser published in ACM CIE online.
- C. Lagger, M. Lux, O. Marques, (2012) What Makes People Watch Online Videos: An Exploratory Study. accepted for publication in ACM CIE preprint
We further released a test data set of 1,309 images along with the intentions of the photographers acquired in a large survey. More information and the actual data is available here: photointentionsdata
Content Based Image Retrieval with LIRe
LIRe (Lucene Image Retrieval) is an open source library for content based image retrieval. Besides providing multiple common and state of the art retrieval mechanisms it allows for easy use on multiple platforms. LIRe is actively used for research, teaching and commercial applications. Due to its modular nature it can be used on process level (e.g. index images and search) as well as on image feature level. Developers and researchers can easily extend and modify LIRe to adapt it to their needs.
- Phone: +43 (463) 2700 3615
- Fax: +43 (463) 2700 99 3615
- Address: Universitätsstraße 65-67, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria
- Email: mlux [at] itec [dot] uni-klu [dot] ac [dot] at
- Office: E.2.59
- Consultation-Hour: Request appointments via email.
- Curriculum vitae (long version, PDF)
- Google Talk: mathias.lux [at] gmail [dot] com
- Skype: Call via Skype
Ass. Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Mathias Lux is Senior Assistant Professor at the Institute for Information Technology (ITEC) at Klagenfurt University. He is working on user intentions in multimedia retrieval and production and emergent semantics in social multimedia computing. In his scientific career he has (co-) authored more than 80 scientific publications, has served in multiple program committees and as reviewer of international conferences, journals and magazines, and has organized multiple scientific events. Mathias Lux is also well known for the development of the award winning and popular open source tools Caliph & Emir and LIRe (http://www.semanticmetadata.net) for multimedia information retrieval.
Dr. Mathias Lux received his M.S. in Mathematics 2004, his Ph.D. in Telematics 2006 from Graz University of Technology, both with distinction, and his Habilitation (venia docendi) from Klagenfurt University in 2013. He worked in industry on web-based applications, then as a junior researcher at a research center for knowledge-based applications. He was research and teaching assistant at the Knowledge Management Institute (KMI) of Graz University of Technology and in 2006 he started working in a post doc position at Klagenfurt University, at the Institute for Information Technology.
- 1996-2004 Studies in Mathematics / Graz University of Technology
- June 2004 Finished studies in Technical Mathematics at Graz University of Technology with distinction (Dipl. Ing. ~ master degree), find the thesis here.
- 1998-2001 Employee and contract worker in companies of the Styria Medien AG group. (Carinthia Online, Media Consult Austria and Netconomy)
- 2001-2006 Junior Researcher at the Know-Center
- Nov. 2006 finished doctoral studies with distinction.
- 2006-… Assistant professor at the Institute for Information Technology (ITEC) at Klagenfurt University
- Oct. 2013 Habilitation at Klagenfurt University
Find a list of all my publications including links to the PDFs and BibTeX entries here:
Furthermore an incomplete list of my research related activities can be found here: Activities.
- ACM MMSys 2014 Dataset Track – Approaching Submission Deadline (2013/11/05 17:05)As an integral part of the ACM MMSys conference since 2011, the Dataset Track provides an opportunity for researchers and practitioners to make their work available (and citable) to the multimedia community. MMSys encourages and recognizes dataset sharing, and seeks contributions in all areas of multimedia (not limited to MM systems). Authors publishing datasets will benefit […]
- ACM Multimedia Presentation & LIRE Solr (2013/10/24 22:58)Today I gave a talk on LIRE at the ACM Multimedia conference in the open source software competition, currently taking place in Barcelona. It gave me the opportunity to present a local installation of the LIRE Solr plugin and the possibilities thereof. Find the slides of the talk at slideshare: LIRE presentation at the ACM Multimedia […]
- New LIRE web demo based on Apache Solr (2013/08/13 14:46)The new LIRE web demo is based on Apache Solr and features and index of the MIRFLICKR data set. The new architecture allows for extremely fast retrieval. Moreover, there’s a new walk through video with some short peeks behind the screen. The source of the plugin will be released in the near future.
- Lire 0.9.4 beta 2 released (2013/08/03 10:46)The beta update features (i) improvements on local feature handling. i.e. stronger quantization of local feature histograms and several bug fixes, (ii) critical bug fixes for CEDD and JCD, which were not thread safe, and (iii) improvements on the ParallelExtractor and Indexor classes as well as the intermediate binary format. Links LIRE Project on Google […]
- LIRE 0.9.4 beta released (2013/07/07 18:16)I’ve just uploaded LIRE 0.9.4 beta to the Google Code downloads page. This is an intermediate release that reflects several changes within the SVN trunk. Basically I put it online as there are many, many bugs solved in this one and it’s performing much, much faster than the 0.9.3 release. If you want to get […]