Table of Contents
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. (Douglas Adams)
Presentation at ACM MM 2012 Grand Challenge! We participated in the ACM MM Grand Challenge. Find out more here: photointentionsdata
Pago Fruit Masters out now! We released our first fully fledged mobile game: Pago Fruit Masters. It was developed in cooperation with Pago, a prominent fruit juice company. Find the game here - Sorry it's just available in Europe, but drop me a mail if you want the instalation package for Android!
Research on User Intentions
User intentions in multimedia is a novel and promising field as well as my main and most favourite research topic. Here are some interesting publications to read:
- C. Kofler, M. Lux (2009) Dynamic presentation adaptation based on user intent classification. ACM Multimedia 2009 ACM page
- M. Lux, C. Kofler, O. Marques (2010) A classification scheme for user intentions in image search. CHI 2010 ACM page
- M. Lux, M. Kogler, M. del Fabro (2010) Why did you take this photo: a study on user intentions in digital photo productions. SAPMIA 2010 ACM page
- M. Kogler, M. Lux, O. Marques (2011) Adaptive Visual Information Retrieval by changing visual vocabulary sizes in context of user intentions. MMWeb 2011 IEEE.
- C. Lagger, M. Lux, O. Marques (2011) Which video do you want to watch now? Development of a Prototypical Intention-based Interface for Video Retrieval. MMWeb 2011, IEEE.
- C. Lagger, M. Lux, O. Marques, (2012) What Makes People Watch Online Videos: An Exploratory Study. Short article teaser published in ACM CIE online.
- C. Lagger, M. Lux, O. Marques, (2012) What Makes People Watch Online Videos: An Exploratory Study. accepted for publication in ACM CIE preprint
We further released a test data set of 1,309 images along with the intentions of the photographers acquired in a large survey. More information and the actual data is available here: photointentionsdata
Content Based Image Retrieval with LIRe
LIRe (Lucene Image Retrieval) is an open source library for content based image retrieval. Besides providing multiple common and state of the art retrieval mechanisms it allows for easy use on multiple platforms. LIRe is actively used for research, teaching and commercial applications. Due to its modular nature it can be used on process level (e.g. index images and search) as well as on image feature level. Developers and researchers can easily extend and modify LIRe to adapt it to their needs.
- Phone: +43 (463) 2700 3615
- Fax: +43 (463) 2700 99 3615
- Address: Universitätsstraße 65-67, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria
- Email: mlux [at] itec [dot] uni-klu [dot] ac [dot] at
- Office: E.2.59
- Consultation-Hour: Request appointments via email.
- Curriculum vitae (long version, PDF)
- Google Talk: mathias.lux [at] gmail [dot] com
- Skype: Call via Skype
Ass. Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Mathias Lux is Senior Assistant Professor at the Institute for Information Technology (ITEC) at Klagenfurt University. He is working on user intentions in multimedia retrieval and production and emergent semantics in social multimedia computing. In his scientific career he has (co-) authored more than 70 scientific publications, has served in multiple program committees and as reviewer of international conferences, journals and magazines, and has organized multiple scientific events. Mathias Lux is also well known for the development of the award winning and popular open source tools Caliph & Emir and LIRe (http://www.semanticmetadata.net) for multimedia information retrieval.
Dr. Mathias Lux received his M.S. in Mathematics 2004 and his Ph.D. in Telematics 2006 from Graz University of Technology, both with distinction. He worked in industry on web-based applications, then as a junior researcher at a research center for knowledge-based applications. He was research and teaching assistant at the Knowledge Management Institute (KMI) of Graz University of Technology and in 2006 he started working in a post doc position at Klagenfurt University, at the Institute for Information Technology.
- 1996-2004 Studies in Mathematics / Graz University of Technology
- June 2004 Finished studies in Technical Mathematics at Graz University of Technology with distinction (Dipl. Ing. ~ master degree), find the thesis here.
- 1998-2001 Employee and contract worker in companies of the Styria Medien AG group. (Carinthia Online, Media Consult Austria and Netconomy)
- 2001-2006 Junior Researcher at the Know-Center
- Nov. 2006 finished doctoral studies with distinction.
- 2006-… Assistant professor at the Institute for Information Technology (ITEC) at Klagenfurt University
Find a list of all my publications including links to the PDFs and BibTeX entries here:
Furthermore an incomplete list of my research related activities can be found here: Activities.
- LireDemo 0.9.4 beta released (2013/05/15 17:12)The current LireDemo 0.9.4 beta release features a new indexing routine, which is much faster than the old one. It’s based on the producer-consumer principle and makes — hopefully — optimal use of I/O and up to 8 cores of a system. Moreover, the new PHOG feature implementation is included and you can give it [...]
- Open Source Software Competition of the ACM MM 2012 (2013/04/24 11:24)The ACM Multimedia Open-Source Software Competition celebrates the invaluable contribution of researchers and software developers who advance the field by providing the community with implementations of codecs, middleware, frameworks, toolkits, libraries, applications, and other multimedia software. This year will be the sixth year in running the competition as part of the ACM Multimedia program. To [...]
- Serialization of LIRE global features updated (2013/04/23 09:30)In the current SVN version three global features have been re-visited in terms of serialization. This was necessary as the index of the web demo with 300k images already exceed 1.5 GB. Feature prior now EdgeHistogram 320 bytes 40 bytes JCD 1344 bytes 84 bytes ColorLayout 14336 bytes 504 bytes This significant reduction in space [...]
- Lire web demo updated – two additional global features (2013/04/22 09:30)The LIRE web demo now includes an RGB color histogram as well as the MPEG-7 edge histogram implementation. The color histogram works well for instance for line art, such as this query.The edge histogram works fine for clear, gloabl edge distributions like queries such as this one. However, it’s performing different from PHOG. An example [...]
- Web based LIRE demo now online (2013/04/19 09:30)A new web based LIRE demo is online. Within this demo you are able to search in an index of 300.000 images from the MIRFLICKR data set. Currently online queries from within the index are allowed, so no custom query images can be uploaded. The backend is plain LIRE, so there’s no search server and [...]